Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy 16th Birthday Sarah!


Sarah's 16th birthday was this past Sunday on March 21, 2010. Here is a picture of Sarah and Richard on the day Sarah was born. She was my easiest birth weighing in at a very acceptable weight of 7 pounds and 2 ounces and even better, she was born 4 days BEFORE her due date of March 25, a Mom has got to love that.

Sarah was a beautiful baby and a happy girl and she is still is only now she is a young woman.

Look at how happy she is on the day of her baptism. Sorry for the pictures Sarah, (not really) but a Mom has certain rights.

Sarah has always set goals for herself and this is one that I am particularly proud of.

Now, back to birthday stuff. Sarah and I spent last Friday together celebrating her birthday, since her actual birthday fell on a Sunday this year. We went to see this movie thinking it would be so funny, but we were wrong. Dang! After the movie we went to eat at Sarah's favorite restaurant, Olive Garden. The food was 100 times better than the movie.

Then, at the mall we decided to try something we have always been curious about, eyebrow threading. What is that you ask? Well, the more common name for it is TORTURE! It is really where a simple piece of thread is used to eliminate hair around your eyebrows and give them a more shapely look. It looks quite simple, but DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! Being the brave woman that I am I had Sarah go first because after all, we were celebrating her birthday. When she was done I asked her if it hurt and she said, yes. I thought, I've given birth before, how bad can it be? Well, our eyebrows did turn out quite lovely, but I don't know if I will try it again and if I do I am going to ask the mall technician what the price is to have this procedure done with an epidural. Sarah is brave and strong, but then I've always known that.

Then we stopped so that Sarah could buy this yummy caramel apple. I am usually a very positive person, but I do remember saying that after that lame movie and that eyebrow threading experience I wouldn't be surprised if when she got to the center of her apple she found a worm because we had already been a little disappointed on some other things. Sarah just laughed and luckily, she didn't find a worm in the apple.

So, even though I know you would have liked it so much more if your 16th birthday would have fallen on a different day of the week, thanks for being so positive Sarah and for laughing and talking with me last Friday. I really enjoyed spending the day with you. Also, thanks for still participating in our silly family traditions like making gingerbread houses at Christmas time even though they don't always turn out the way that we think they will, it is so much fun being together.

Thanks for being such a good friend and sister to all of the other children in our family. This picture was taken when Sarah and Allie went to their 1st concert together this year.

Sarah also got her driver's permit this year.

We also love Sarah because she tolerates our silly love for chickens even though I don't think she really likes them as much as we do.

Sarah is so much fun to be around. I know these pictures make it look like we Cluffs just play all of the time, but Sarah is really good about planning for her future and then taking steps to make those plans become reality and I admire her for that quality.

Some of the rest of us Cluffs might love chickens, but Sarah LOVES to play volleyball and do you want to know something else? She is really good at volleyball. Isn't it great when you are actually good at something that you really enjoy? I love it when that happens!

Another silly family tradition the Cluffs enjoy is driving around town eating FREE slurpees at 7-11 stores on 7/11 day which is July 11th of every year. It should be a national holiday as far as we Cluffs are concerned. Why don't more people drink slurpees once a year until their tongues are stained and they really, really have to go to the bathroom when they return home from the adventure?

Sarah loves to go to the beach. We had so much fun visiting the beach this past summer with my sister, Sharon.


In fact, Sarah is almost always ready for a new adventure!


Sarah, we love you so much and are so grateful that you are a part of our family. The saying that we have in our family room that says "We may not have it all together, but together, we have it all" is so true. Thanks for the opportunity that I have to be your earthly Mom. I am so excited to watch you as you accomplish all of your goals and righteous desires. I hope your 16th year of life is great!

3 comments:

Leah said...

I love this Sarah girl...she is such a joy to me....love you Sarah! Happy birthday!

Meagan said...

I'm glad you had fun celebrating on Friday! Love you bunches and bunches! Any REAL dates yet? Remember....GROUP dates, ok? Come on, I'm your older sister, it's my job to keep an eye on you, even if I AM 653.61 miles away... and in case you were wondering, yes I am a nerd and looked it up on Mapquest :)

lletrad said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Sarah! You're SO stinkin' CUTE!!!! :)