I have prayed for a lot of things in my life, but this week I found myself praying that the mail would come. Not just any mail, but THE mail...Matt's long awaited mission call. Our Bishop called on Tuesday to see if Matt had received his call yet. He said the paperwork had been mailed from Salt Lake City on 4/20/2012 and it should arrive any day. Well, it didn't come Tuesday or Wednesday and FINALLY, today it arrived. It didn't come at the usual 9:00 a.m. either, we had to wait until the unheard of hour of 10:45 a.m. for the mail to come. By 8:45 a.m. we had already gone and checked the mailbox 3 times. We might be just a little bit excited!
Matt was probably afraid to look and see where he was going at first because we might have teased him a lot about where he would be called to serve. You see, Matt had to overcome a few medical challenges before he could submit his paperwork and so we told him that when the paperwork came he would probably be assigned to serve in the Tempe, Arizona Mission. Then we would laugh and say, "No, I bet you will get sent at least as far as Show Low or Flagstaff." I know, we are a mean family. Secretly, I really thought Matt would serve in one of the 50 States, but the Lord had other plans for Matt.Come on Matt, open your eyes and see where you will spend the next 2 years of your life. (In Matt's defense, these are file photos of when I took his picture to submit his paperwork and the sun was in his eyes. I do not want you to think that he was actually standing around in his suit all week waiting for his mission call to come.) When Matt opened his letter he found out that he has been called to serve in the Monterrey Mexico West Mission and he reports to the Missionary Training Center on July 25, 2012! I think he was surprised and more than a little pleased. When I saw Matt this evening he was still mumbling "Monterrey, Mexico" every once in awhile with a silly smile on his face. Hooray for Matt! We are so proud and happy for him!
9 comments:
Congratulations!!! How exciting! Matt, you're going to be awesome! And tan! :)
That is so exciting! Matt will be such a great missionary and he will have such a huge support system at home. He's one lucky guy. I think Aaron was just as anxious and excited for his call to come. He told me the exciting news yesterday. I'm so happy for Matt and for your family. "The field is white already for harvest."
I am SO happy for you guys! I was getting all emotional when reading this, because it's so exciting to have a missionary! I got an ultrasound this week, and the Doctor thinks we MIGHT be having a boy! :) I thought about having a missionary of my own someday... :) It was fun to see you guys last week! Yay for missionaries!
Oh yeah, I just watched a movie about Monterrey...it was about little league baseball and has nothing to do with missionary work but it was still a happy movie! *laughs* Congratulations Matt, wonderful news! The Halversen's are excited for you!
OH MY GOSH!! SO so so EXCITED for Matt and your family! Wow Mexico-that is AWESOME!
YEA!!!!! I am so excited! My brother went to Mexico and LOVED it!
Future Elder Cluff, you look great! We are SO EXCITED for you!!! Love you!
Matt will be SUCH a great missionary! The people in Mexico are going to LOVE him!
Congrats to Matt...lots of great blessings are in store for the whole family!
Post a Comment