
No, this is not a blog about Hannah Montana. It is about my family. Much more interesting than Hannah Montana could ever be. This is a picture of my parents and my two brothers and two sisters. As you can see there is quite an age gap.

Here we are again at a family wedding. By the time I was 10 years old all of my brothers and sisters were married with families of their own. So, the first half of my growing years were spent with siblings where I was undoubtedly spoiled and the second half of my growing years were spent as an only child. At times all parties involved used to scream "foul play". Some of my siblings felt that I got all of the money and of course I always felt that they got all of the time, meaning that when they were little they went on camping and sledding and fishing trips and by the time I came around we didn't always do those things but we did travel and stay in hotels.

Well, time passed and as the years have gone by I am freely admitting on this blog that I really did get the best of both worlds. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters, but I was mostly raised as an only child and I probably did get a lot of material things that they may not have had growing up. I don't know that I always appreciated the one-on-one time that I had with my parents when I was growing up but the upside is that Heavenly Father allowed me to have a second chance. When I was young and complaining about having to mow the lawn my Dad used to tease me and tell me that he had me later in life so that I would be there to take care of him and Mom in their old age and specifically so that he would have someone to mow the lawn. I would never have believed then that I would grow up to marry a man who is a landscaper and a horticulturist and that there would actually be a time in my life when I would love working outside and planting things and yes, even mowing lawns. In fact, the smell of fresh mowed grass is way up at the top of my list of favorite smells and smells that I associate with great memories. It reminds me of my father and my husband, both great men.
Well, my dad's prediction kind of came true, although I'm not sure if I take care of them more or any better than they take care of me. My parents are 85 and 83 now and I get to spend every Monday and Thursday with them after I get my children off to school and Mondays and Thursdays have become my favorite days of the week. I'm grateful that I now have a chance to go on adventures with them and listen to family stories that I didn't always take the time to appreciate when I was younger. I've heard it said that youth is wasted on the young and that might actually be true. Don't get me wrong, being young is great, but as I have gotten older I have taken more opportunities to think and reflect on the many blessings that I have enjoyed in life and come to more deeply appreciate the many blessings that Heavenly Father has allowed me to experience. Here is a picture of my parents taken about 9 years ago. They ride these motorized scooters pretty much everywhere they go and I run a lot faster to keep up with them than I ever did to keep up with my children when they were little. These scooters allow them to still go on plenty of adventures and we always have a great time together.
My parents always host a fun Christmas party in their home every year where Santa makes an appearance. We all love these parties and my parents are especially grateful that "Santa" makes the effort to come.
They also love to have visits from their grandchildren and now great grandchildren.
Here is a picture of my dad and my sister, Sharon. Sharon lives about a mile from my parents and is one of my heroes in this life. She works harder than anyone I know. She was 18 when I was born and even though there is quite an age difference she was so good to me when I was a little girl. (And the kindness hasn't stopped even though I am all grown up.) She used to actually wake me up early on Saturday mornings and watch cartoons with me. How many sisters in this world would do that? I think one of the first words I ever learned to say was "She on" and when I went to bed each night she always told me the best stories.
I know my brothers and sisters may have thought at times that I was the favorite child, but it absolutely isn't true. Even later in life, my parents adopted a little girl named Tipper and she is definitely the apple of their eye. Here is a picture of my mom and Tipper. If you think I was spoiled you should meet Tipper. That dog wants for nothing and she is great company for my parents. I am so glad that they have her, she keeps them young.
My parents have really tried to be at the crossroads of all of our lives. Here is a picture of my parents with my nephew, Edward, on the day he returned home from his mission to Brazil. Can you see the love, pride and sheer relief on their faces that he served honorably and that he returned home safely. My parents are very specific in their prayers and all of their posterity is definitely watched over and prayed for.
My mother is very creative. She is definitely the "Lucille Ball" of the 2000's. She can come up with more ideas for fun or things to make or do than can possibly be accomplished in a lifetime. My dad tells me often what a good choice he made in his marriage partner.

Here is a picture of my dad with a "Santa" that he loves very much. In the background is a picture of my sister, Sandra. Sandra died of cancer 6 months after this fun, family Christmas party. My parents were so kind to Sandra and her family during the time that she had cancer and her son, Daniel had leukemia. My parents helped Sandra by staying with her and Daniel in Tucson during the time that he was getting a bone marrow transplant and cooking and washing clothes so that Sandra could focus on Daniel. My parents gave service to Sandra and she gave service to my parents by allowing them to love her and help her. There were times when she was so sick and I would watch her eat some favorite food that my mom had made for her even though she and I both knew she was going to throw it up later but she did it because she loved her parents and she wanted to show her love and appreciation for all that they were doing for her. I have no doubt that Sandra left this world knowing that her parents loved her and that is truly one of the best gifts anyone can give their child.

On most mornings you can find my parents sitting at the kitchen table playing a game of dominoes. When I was little games used to be played so that chores could be assigned. The loser was assigned a chore and my parents played to win. That is probably why I like to play games and also why I might be accused of being a little too competitive. Now, the morning game is played to see who gets to be "in charge" for the day and who is "right" if any disagreements may arise. I think the whole concept is hilarious and I am proud to say that both of my parents still definitely play every day to win. My dad always smiles if I come over while they are in the middle of a game of dominoes because he knows that my mom will start talking to me, become distracted and he will win. I know it and he knows it and maybe my mom even knows it, but she usually does visit and my dad usually does win. This walk down memory lane just confirms to me that I really do have the best of both worlds. And so, I will take this time to publicly tell my brothers and sisters, "you are right, I really do live a very privileged life." The beauty is that Heavenly Father let me and my parents live long enough so that I could realize that blessing in my life. I am so grateful for my family!
6 comments:
How wonderful to have all of those great feelings, memories, and insights all down in words. Now they are permanent to be read over and over. One of life's real treasures for sure.
I loved reading this Mom! Thanks for all your blog posts! I hope Grandma and Grandpa and the rest of the family are doing great! I love you!
What a great post Susan! It's nice to learn a little more about you and your family. Sounds like your parents are pretty great people. :)
I loved reading this post about your parents. Even though I don't think I have ever met them in real life I feel like I know them well. I am sure that I will have to adopt the plan to play a game to decide who's "in charge". Thanks for sharing!
I love reading your blog. I love it so much because I get the inside scoop on you and your family. I can see why you turned out the way you did now...
you are just fascinating! Every part of you! I love to learn from listening and reading and whatever else I can take in! You're always an inspiration!
Post a Comment