Monday, January 25, 2010

Rain, Hail, Snow, Waves - Boy, Was It Fun!




We took a road trip to San Diego this weekend to attend the wedding of one of our Ward members. Poor Richard, even on his days off he is required to carry a phone that keeps him connected to his job. It is a phone/walkie talkie and sometimes we can't even tell what the people on the other end are saying, but Rich always knows what they are saying. We tease him and tell him that we think he would be great at working the drive-thru phone at any fast food restaurant because he is so good at knowing what someone says on the phone, no matter how garbled it is. Definitely a marketable skill!

Speaking of fast food restaurants. Here is our first stop on the trip. We stopped at McDonalds in Yuma to walk around and take a break. We didn't order anything, but it sure felt good to get out of the car.

Ahhhhhhh, much better!

When we left our house at 5:24 a.m. (yes, that was 24 minutes behind schedule, my fault) it was raining and when we got close to San Diego it not only rained, but then it started to hail and we even came upon some snow on the ground. Scary but exciting. Several cars slid off the road and some of us wanted to stop and play in the snow, but the wedding was scheduled for 2 p.m. and so we just had to keep on driving.

This is what was going on in the backseat while the drive was taking place. Funny faces and stained tongues from too many airheads.



While Richard and I went into the temple to attend the wedding, Sarah took some pictures of Allie and Paige goofing around.

Here is the San Diego Temple. Isn't it beautiful?

Here is Sarah, our temple photographer, a little cold, but still smiling.

Later in the day, Paige and Kaylee got a hold of the camera to take a picture of what they were watching on t.v. at the hotel. Word Girl on channel 8 is just so much better when you are watching it on someone else's t.v., wouldn't you agree?

Hooray for good deals on priceline.com. The hotel we booked had a heated, indoor swimming pool and Paige and Kaylee took full advantage of it.








On Saturday the rain had stopped and the skies were sunny so we headed to Mission Beach for some fun in the sun.




What would a Cluff family trip be without getting lost a few times and eating a giant snow cone?

I know, I'm easily amused, but this stuff intrigues me. It has these small circles on the end of it and you can pop them with your fingers. I think this is how the inventor for bubble wrap got his idea and got rich. I LOVE this stuff.

Kaylee even found one that had a HUGE round thing on the end. Strange, but true. And, no I didn't try to pop it, I know my limits and frankly, I was a little scared of it.

Paige and Kaylee and I sat on the beach and enjoyed the sound of the ocean waves until a huge wave came and got water and sand all over us before we could stand up and run away. The wave got my camera all wet and sandy and that is why this picture looks a little strange. Oh well, more memories for me and every time I use my camera now I find more sand and the lens makes a grinding noise when it comes out. That is what I call a souvenir from the beach.


If only this were a real ice cream cone!




On the drive home there was still snow on the side of the road and we had plenty of time to play in it and even make a 6 inch Arizona snowman. Don't criticize people, we didn't have a lot to work with, but we sure did have fun. Luckily for me, several people in the family like having snowball fights as much as I do.
We began with him and I suppose it is only fitting that we end with him. Thanks, Richard, for driving us through the rain, hail and snow and helping us to have such a fun weekend. We love you!

5 comments:

Guthrie's said...

Woohoo! You Cluffs go from one exciting fun moment to another. You know if you wouldn't have shown a picture of your snowman with a person by it we would have thought You had built a big one.

nate and amy crandell said...

haha you are so funny! Looks like a lot of fun-awesome snowcone!

Diana said...

What a fun trip. I love San Diego. We have gone to Carlsbad for a couple of years w/my sister who has a time share up there.
Glad you had fun!

Heather said...

Your trip looked like so much fun! I love San Diego and especially love that temple! GORGEOUS is all I can say about it!

Unknown said...

The first picture of Rich kinda looks like Grandpa Bill. and When I was reading I was thinking to myself where's the snowcone? And then....It was there thanks for not disapointing me. looked like a fun quick trip. Our family trips were not that fun. P.s. This is Debbie not Nathan