Monday, August 13, 2012

The 411 Or...Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask :)

 Did we have fun in Colorado and how did we really feel about wearing wet suits?  Yes, we loved our Colorado trip.  Some trips manage to become even more fun in your mind as time goes by and this trip will always definitely stand out as a good time had by all.  If you enlarge this picture you will see that the girls felt a little weird about wearing wet suits for our white water rafting trip, but they sure did keep us a lot warmer.
 How does Dixie feel about Matthew and Sarah moving out?  Depressed!  Poor Dixie, you still have Paige and Kaylee. :)  Yes, Sarah moved out this week to be closer to ASU and enjoy the fun of sharing an apartment with friends.
 What did Matt spend his time doing before he left on his mission?  He would probably never let us admit to this while he was here, but he used his creative skills to paint some of his sister's nails.  I had no idea what this design was but I was later informed that it has to do with Pokemon.  Hilarious! He also indexed like a madman and really helped our Ward with our indexing goal.
 Why doesn't Dixie wear dog clothes anymore?  We would love to tell you that the reason is because it is too dang hot for dog clothes during the Arizona summers but the real truth is that the children spent the summer teaching her all kinds of tricks that were rewarded with all kinds of treats and her dogie clothes are a little tight these days.  Nothing accompanying Kaylee to school 5 days a week can't fix.  On a positive note, she can sit, shake hands and dance but never quite mastered rolling over.
 Who does Matt miss the most since he left on his mission?  That is a no brainer.  The answer is our dog, Dixie.  If you asked what does Matt miss the most since he left the answer would be his big, comfy bed.
 What was it like on the morning that Matt left for the MTC?  It was really good.  We didn't look too beautiful since his flight was at 7:40 a.m. and he had to be at the airport 2 hours early, but it was a really good morning and one that we are all glad we took the time to participate in even if it was early.
 Did I cry and how did I feel about him leaving?  Nope, I didn't cry.  My family thinks I am heartless, but how can you cry when your son is leaving to do such a good thing like teaching the gospel to people that have been waiting there whole life to hear it and serving Heavenly Father?  I am so proud of him!  It was definitely a process...knee surgery, needed to lose some weight, passport, visa...but so worth it.
 Did Richard cry and how did he feel about Matt leaving?  Also, is it true that Richard could really retire in February.  Yes, he did cry.  Matt leaving for a mission brought back a lot of memories for Richard about how wonderful a mission is but also about how challenging a mission can be.  I think Richard was feeling a little like the elephants on the movie, Dumbo, when they said, "This is a proud, proud day." :)  And, yes it is true that Richard has put in enough years at his job that he really could retire in February.  However, he would still need to find another job with insurance because he is WAY too young for Medicare.  But, whether he decides to find a different job and retire from his current one or just keeps working at the same place, working for 30 years at the same job is quite an accomplishment.  Way to go!
 Last family picture with Matt in it until 2014.
 Are Sarah Cluff and Shawn Garrison engaged?  Yes!  They are planning to be married by Bishop Stephens on October 20, 2012.  They are both enrolled at ASU and are excited to begin their life together.  Do we like Shawn?  Also a Yes!  Shawn is a great guy and a really hard worker.
 Did anyone throw up on the first day of school this year due to nerves?  I am proud to say no.  :)
 Did we follow Cluff tradition and still go out to breakfast at Dennys on the first day of school?  Yes and it was nice.  We love traditions, especially when they involve food.
 Am I recovering from my bad haircut?  Yes, slowly but surely.  I still resemble Moe, but at least I am smiling now. :)
 Is Meagan pregnant again?  Yes!  Meagan and Hyrum are expecting a baby girl to arrive the week of Shawn and Sarah's wedding.  They are going to name her TiAnne.  Congratulations Meg and Hyrum!
 Do I miss my Dad?  Of course!  He was stubborn and funny and wonderful, what's not to miss?
How is my Mother doing?  Pretty good.  She has lots of friends and stays pretty busy.  We spend 2 days a week together and have lots of fun.  I am blessed to have had so much one on one time with my parents.

Last but not least... Am I still PTO president this year and am I still planning to cook the Boy Scout fundraising dinner two weeks after Sarah and Shawn's wedding?  Yes to both of those questions.  What can I say?  If I weren't involved in my church and community I wouldn't be nearly as happy as I am now.  Some people just love juggling.  I may just apply to work in the circus as a plate juggler once all of my personal juggling settles down.  Personally though, I want to be busy until I take my last breath on this earth.  One of my favorite quotes is from Marjorie Pay Hinckley and it says, "I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.  I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing a neighbor's lawn.  I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children.  I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.  I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.  I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."  Amen.

7 comments:

Jenny Knudsen said...

I love you Susan and I am here to help you in any way I can. I am an expert potato peeler you know ;)

Chels said...

Susan,
I found your blog and I love it! I am also here to help in anyway I can! I can peel potatoes too ;) Sure love you and excited for all the happenings in your awesome family!

Unknown said...

so many exciting things happening all at once! joys of life!!

Unknown said...

so many exciting things happening at once! the joys of life!

Allie said...

You are a rock star mom! I am your biggest fan and am always ready to help! I'm making chad eat all of those peanuts in our cute jar so you can use it to serve slush and I have 5 empty water jugs with your name all over them. Love you!

Linda and Rhonda said...

Did I think of you guys on the morning of the first day of school and wait quite impatiently for this post to come? Yes. Yes I did! (That's not a joke. I really did.) What a busy time you are having! I'm glad there are so many happy things to keep you all busy!
~Rhonda~

mama bear said...

I love catching up on your family. I'm sure Matt will be an awesome missionary--such a handsome young man! So many blessings are in store for all of you! I especially love your closing quote from Sis. Hinckley. Oh, that we could all be more like her...and you!3