CAGE! Yup, that is right, I LOVE this cage. Would you like to know why?
Well, this summer, not just one coyote, but two coyotes, jumped over our six foot brick wall and ate all of our beloved chickens. I know, what a sad day at the Cluff house you are thinking. I had already buried two of our foster chickens from our Jones Cousins earlier in the year. They were old and sick, poor things. Perhaps eaten was not the correct choice of words because when coyotes find chickens they get excited and after they are full they continue to "play" with the chickens until they don't move anymore. Well, when Richard saw this series of unfortunate events he said I had buried enough chickens, the Arizona ground was too hard and the Arizona sun was too hot and he insisted that we involve City of Mesa in the burial arrangements. I love that man, but in this case he was very wrong. This happened on a Friday and where we live the garbage gets picked up on Wednesday and it was toward the end of July. Fortunately for us, CSI did not come out to our home and investigate the terrible smell, but let me just tell you that it was DISGUSTING and I was never so happy to see the garbage man in my life as I was that week. If it is any consolation Jones Cousins, your two plump and beautiful chickens were the ones completely eaten, so I can at least promise you that they did not suffer much in their last minutes and they were not placed in the custody of the City of Mesa. O.k., I digress, back to why I love that cage so much.
These were our baby chickens when we first got them. Remember how cute they were?
They were wonderful chickens, blessing us with eggs everyday and starring in several Skyline High School videos that earned Matt good grades. Well, to think we lost it all and ended up with...
THIS! Richard grew up with small house dogs. I know what you are thinking, but we should all forgive him because he really is a good man. Well, I must have been out of my mind/depressed/defeated, because I ended up losing to a majority vote of 5 to 1 to get this little ankle biter. She is a girl and her name is Dixie. She came home from the pound two days ago. She is already beginning to be the boss of the house and she does NOT bless us with eggs everyday.
10 comments:
Yay! One more reason why I can postpone getting a dog....because the Cluff's have one and we can go visit. She/he really is cute.
Funny! Funny! Funny! I'll be asking for potty training tips in a few years with Brigham!! Good luck! Learn all about it so you can pass down your wisdom when we get our dogs :)
I love you Susan! You always crack me up! Good luck with the dog. I have no clue how to potty train them ;)
what i find most surprising is that your HOA let you have chickens!!! we used to have them in phoenix when i was a kid, but i don't dare here for fear of the dreaded HOA. sorry for your loss! as for the poopy...shover her nose in her pee, spank her butt and toss her out the back door...our dog skittles learned not to potty in the house after two days of that. if you don't put their nose in their waste, they don't know what they did wrong. good luck!
I think you should just get a big purse to put her in so you can be one of "those" people. You could rock it mom!
Smooches from me and my quiet, non barking, turtle pet that lives at someone elses house!! ;)
Susan...I miss you!!! I 'm sorry you lost your chickens...and that dog...well I would have voted with you:)
That's too bad about your chickens... but holy smokes, that is one adorable dog! Good luck! :)
Susan, I grew up with dogs and in the short 4 1/2 years Bry and I have been married we've had 3 (we only have one now, but total we've had 3) anyway, crate training your new pup is the only way to go! I swear by it! All 3 of our little puppies were potty trained quicker than ever! Good luck, she's darling!
Susan, for sure crate train that cute little puppy. I also recommend a doggy door. My dogs (yes, all three of them) are crate trained and doggie door trained. It makes it so nice when I am gone during the day. So sorry about your chickens!!
I love her! She is so cute!!! And Dixie is a great name for a pet.
Post a Comment