Thursday, December 3, 2009

These Are My People




O.K., if you are not familiar with country music then this post won't mean as much, but if you are a fan of country music then you will hear some of these songs playing in your head as you read. These are my people and this is where I come from. On Tuesday, December 1, 2009, I had an opportunity to drive to Geronimo, Arizona and visit some of the graves of members of our family. These are my parents, Max and Mae Blazzard.




We have a family owned cemetery close to Geronimo and my parents recently had their own headstones installed. Macabre? Not really, some of us just like to call it planning ahead. This is a front and back view of their stone and I think it turned out great!




This is a picture of a headstone that they put up for my sister, Sandra, who died 2 years ago.




Sandra's son, Daniel, died 3 years ago and this is the stone that was chosen for him. I think they all turned out really well.


This is my sister, Sharon, who accompanied us on this trip and did almost all of the driving. We were gone about 12 hours and it was fun to be together and "catch up."


Have you ever heard the song that goes "Where I come from, there's cornbread and chicken, where I come from a lot of front porch sittin?" Well, this is the house in Geronimo where my Mother was born and it reminds me a lot of that song.


In Geronimo there are always lots of peacocks running around. I don't even know how they got there but they are really fun to watch.


This is one of the horses that my cousin keeps at his home in Geronimo. Next time I go I'll have to take my kids and maybe we can have a ride.


My mother's maiden name was Black so this is a picture at the corner of the property that we have always liked, but never taken the time to photograph. We had a nice time together and enjoyed remembering the past and planning for the future.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I'm glad you were able to go! I didn't realize Aunt Sharon was going too! I love all of the headstones, especially the picture with the children playing and the picture of the Arizona temple. Happy you made it home safe! Love you bunches! -Meg

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

Um tender tender tender tender tender! I cried a little tear when I saw the pictures of the headstones on your blog!!! We are planning on going up there as soon as everyone is out of school. I love it!!

amanda p. said...

We are forever in debt. seriously. And maybe I cried a little tear too. Thanks so much for taking gma and gpa :) Someday I want to make that old house a restored family vacation "cabin" where anyone can go do some front porch sittin. wouldn't that be nice? but maybe I'll have to learn how to spell geranimo first :)

Stacy said...

I don't think it is macabre at all. In fact, I am just finishing up my Death and Dying class at ASU and I think that it is healthy and normal, in fact, perfectly practical to plan ahead like that. How nice that you could be with your family and get some pictures of those things.